Sunday, July 19, 2009

Fashion Show on Bravo

I tried to get into "Fashion Show," but didn't really grab onto it. I kept forgetting to watch it (I would NEVER do that with Project Runway), so I've really only caught three or four of the episodes.

I don't think Isaac Mizrahi or Kelly Rowland have the personality factor (i.e. Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn) that made Project Runway so fun to watch. Fern Mallis, who always gives good, spot-on critiques that reflect the real world, just wasn't enough to engage me in a significant way. I also cringe at their toss-off lines: "we're just not buying it," and "buh bye darling."

Bravo also didn't air the episodes often enough during the week so that I could keep up. And, although they do make the episodes available online, I don't like watching TV on my computer screen, it's not the same and I can't position my desk top to the couch. On top of that, I am really getting sick of the erotic angst of the upper class UNREAL HOUSEWIVES of New Jersey, New York, Orange County. Every time I turned to Bravo to see if there was a repeat airing of Fashion Show I got re-runs and marathons of the housewives.

(In fact I don't watch the housewife shows at all, I'm just irritated to see them on the schedule night after night. Then it's going to be Top Chef for crying out loud. I don't watch that either. I do wish I had some of their problems though, if I could exchange my financial situation for those problems. Anyway...that's another rant.)

Fashion Show seemed like a conglomeration of other creative-challenge-reality shows -- I saw a little of the "model" series and the "interior design" series, but didn't see anything all that new to grab my attention. I did like the mini-challenges at the beginning of each episode, however, which is one of the things I like about one of the interior design series. I don't watch the "cooking" shows, and I'm wondering if there aren't some aspects of those in there as well. I didn't see enough of the workroom setting, and I can do without the "audience" voting -- there's too much of an "unknown" factor there. It seemed like they really wanted to NOT include anything that even vaguely resembled Project Runway and went way too far.

Some may say that I shouldn't compare Fashion Show to Project Runway, but of course I do. I was disappointed that Bravo didn't get to hang onto Project Runway, and eagerly awaited their new fashion designer competition. Hopefully Bravo will be able to hone some of the things about Fashion Show that work, and get rid of the things that don't.

Nevertheless, I'm going to try and watch the finale, and at least see the final fashion show on the the internet. I'm rooting for Danielle.

No comments: